Thursday, November 4, 2010

I Don't Need Witty Subject Headers

BECAUSE MY LAST CHEMO IS TOMORROW!

I just moved into my very own apartment and it is truly fantastamarastic.  Since I never knew what would be cause for a "situation" in my old apartment (a dish in the sink? having friends over? not taking out the trash ten days after a mastectomy?  not taking the cat to the groomer often enough during chemo?), it was actually more stressful dealing with my roommates than coping with cancer, a bilateral mastectomy, and chemo all put together.

I'm looking forward to coming home after my VERY LAST chemo and for the first time being able to relax and focus on feeling better instead of walking on eggshells and hiding in my bedroom trying not to set off an explosion that I'm too drained to effectively deal with.  PRO TIP (now tinged with bonus bitterness!):  If you ever know someone who gets cancer, try to remember that while it may inconvenience your life somewhat, it is inconveniencing the Cancer Person to a degree you cannot comprehend.  Though you didn't sign up to be a Cancer Friend, they did not sign up to be a Cancer Person.  It's unfair to everybody, but try to maintain a certain degree of human decency.  Otherwise you'll have to accept that you're a different kind of person than you may have liked to think you were, and accept the friendless, lonely, small life that's part of the package.

I don't have a couch in my new place yet, so in the meantime I am going to construct a box fort to end all box forts in my living room, complete with pillows inside so I can invite people in and lounge in it.  I'm imagining something like this, except inside a number of cardboard boxes:



In just over 24 hours, I'll be finishing my last infusion of toxic chemicals ever.  Don't put the party hats on quite yet, but hold them at the ready.

2 comments:

  1. Say it isn't so - you can't stop blogging entirely because then it will be harder to keep up with this much better phase of your life!!

    I cringed to read about the most unstable roomates I have ever heard of.
    Modern day Evil can be packaged in many different ways, apparently. Life being what it is, I know that it is not "if" but "when" they have a life altering crisis that they will look back and remember with deep shame and condemnation for the way they treated their former roomate. I don't know how some people sleep at night.

    Here's to hoping their rent gets tripled in January! As an act of discipline I will not write one more thing that I wish them.

    Looking forward to seeing you later in your apartment minus those (truly) sick chicks.

    The living room concept is nice but maybe a little visually busy:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just writing to agree with Melinda about the roomies. Lame. No excuse. Seriously makes me wonder what people are thinking? I mean, seriously? I'm so thankful you have your own place where you can relax and I'm just sorry that you had to put up with that drama while trying to put up with - duh! - cancer! Okay, I will now stop and tell you again that I'm glad it's over and you can get on with your life! =0)

    ReplyDelete