Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Things I Forgot to Mention!

I don't know how I forgot to mention this! I picked up my wig yesterday, and it looks great. I'm going to add a few more layers around the front, but all told, not wiggy, not fake looking, and comfy (which is the most important part!).

Nathan came with me to the wig place, but then had to run to work after a bit. When he left, he asked "So are you going to buzz it today?" And I said probably not, that I wasn't ready to change my hair yet. And he left. My wig guy had to run out front to take care of another customer (since this is a real salon and all). I was alone in the private room in the back, staring at the frizzy hair I'm afraid to blow dry in the mirror and idly pulling out strands, ten to twenty at a time, and letting them fall on the floor. It was probably easier to keep them all on my head because it was curly, since they were all wrapping around one another. It was kind of awesome to see so many come out - like a science experiment. It didn't hurt - they were just like regular loose hairs. As I amassed a small pile on the floor, I started thinking "Wow, are they ALL going to fall out like that? That's going to be such a mess around the apartment. Forget the cat, I'm the real shedder in the house."

Then my wig guy came in. He put a wig cap over my head and tried to fit the wig, but it kept slipping back because I had so much hair, and he laughed when I explained that this is already WAY less hair than I had a month ago. Suddenly, with the option of the wig comfortably available, and no one around, I decided there was really no better time. So I asked Andrew to just chop it off. A pixie cut. The Rihanna. Whatever. Let's do something I would never do in my normal life, since it's gone in a week anyway if I hate it.

So I left the salon with a cross between a regular pixie cut and the Rihanna. I promise I'll post a picture at some point, but it's really hard to take pictures of myself, so, later. I wore it out yesterday and today, and, surprisingly, I have not spontaneously combusted for lack of a ponytail. To be honest, I'd rather have this than my long long hair a mess all the time becuase I'm afraid to pull it out when I style it. Plus, I don't think it will take too long to get back to this length, which I can deal going out in. I think the short haircut gave me something to look forward to. Like, getting my hair back to the length it was sounds impossible. It'll take more years than I can project into the future right now. But two or three inches of hair? I can swing that in a few months!

So I have both very short hair and very long hair (my wig) to wear currently. It's sort of fun to be able to switch it up for a few days. And I promise I'll post some pictures soon!

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, The Rihanna look? Does the singing voice and cash come with it? It is certainly a bold and confident look and if anyone can do that justice, it is you. Gotta love a girl that can make that step and keep steering the ship. (your life) Yes, I knew you were a pirate!
    Loving you well.
    Aunt Mary

    ReplyDelete