Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Cancer Benefits

One of the benefits of cancer that they don't tell you about is that you can basically bring anything you want past airport security if you tell them that you need it to appease your raging cells.

This weekend, I got to bring onto the plane all the liquids I wanted, including a liter-size bottle of water, about 47 snacks, and about a bajillion pills that I think are technically controlled substances. I also got my own row on every flight I was on. You know...in case I got really chemo-tired and needed a nap.

I also got the opportunity to meet Katie this weekend, who is another Cancer Benefit. As two of the very, very few twenty four year olds dealing with this stupid malignant garbage, we pretty much had to talk to each other (thanks, cancer websites!), especially after I found out that she lives in Ann Arbor. Our friendship was sealed after a few emails, but our soulmateship (yes, soulmateship) was cemented when she picked me up from the airport and we discovered that we were already wearing the exact same nail polish color. It's hard to decide whether I was more excited to hang out with Nathan or Katie this weekend, but the two of them together in the same town makes Ann Arbor tops on the list of hip towns in the Midwest. (Lists can have one item in them, right?)

5 comments:

  1. God has a nice way of putting the right people into our lives when we most need them. So glad you have eachother to talk to, to share your experiences and to grow old with.
    Continuing to wish you well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caitlin,
    I am so glad you got a chance to come to the one hip town in the midwest and hang out with my daughter. Katie had been looking forward to your visit for some time. Glad to see your treatment is going well especially that the AC did not leave you incapacitated. From an old person's perspective the treatments go by pretty quickly, but I was not the person with the IV in my arm. Next time you are in Michigan we would love to have you come visit. For the record there are 2 other hip towns west of NY. Wishing you all the best.
    Katie's Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Caitlin,
    How sweet that Katie's dad posted to you. I am finding it hard to imagine my dad (grandpa) posting on somebody's blog!

    Like your preferred status on airlines and hope I can be a your traveling companion sometime - these days getting your own row on an airplane is golden.

    Is Law School more or less how Nathan imagined it would be?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caitlin,

    I am a friend of Katie's mom and dad. Plus my daughter was a classmate of Katie's in HS.

    Please know that my thoughts are with you.

    Regards,
    Kara Wills

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Mr. Harlow,

    I'd love to see the other two hip towns, if you'll excuse my east coast ignorance and still have me over the next time I'm in Michigan!

    ReplyDelete