Friday, September 10, 2010

Canceriffic: Chemo #4

I had my LAST AC CHEMO today. Thanks for coming Mom, Marilyn, and Marcella! It was, as per usual, totally uneventful. They did a full bloodwork on me to see how my kidneys and whatnot are holding up, and everything is like that of a healthy person, except that this is the second time my blood sugar has been 'low normal.' (The first time was before I even started chemo.) I got it in a voicemail, so does anyone want to tell me what that actually means? They told me not to worry about it unless I don't feel well, in which case give them a call. Beyond that, red and white blood cells are holding steady - good job, self.

After chemo I went out for secondlunch (broccoli and cheese quiche with salad), having eaten firstlunch (roast beef and gruyere sandwich) during chemo, obviously. Then I went to the farmer's market with my mom, and then came home and made fresh corn and black bean salad for dinner with my farmer's market finds.

I'm leaving for Ann Arbor after my Neulasta shot tomorrow, and I'm REALLY looking forward to getting through airport security with pieces of metal in my chest!

When I get back, on to Taxol!

5 comments:

  1. I'm sure others will know more, but as a person with low blood sugar on a regular basis, the best thing you can do is eat less carbs and more protein. It's not a fun way to eat, but it will help balance those sugars out a little bit so you won't have sugar problems later. I wish I had known this when I was 24. Now, I have really unstable blood sugar; not diabetic, but just very carb sensitive. So. I know you wanted to know all of that, but coming from someone who can talk until 4 AM, you surely can't be surprised! Oh, and the blood sugar problem is why I started on those protein drinks in the mornings.... I'd so much rather have a doughut or bagel...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caitlin,

    More than halfway through chemo now. Wish I could have been there yesterday, I thought about you all day.

    C began school on Tuesday and had Thursday off! Today he is trying out for a travel soccer team so outside my window I keep seeing a canary yellow, size 5 soccer ball whirling around. J is at boarding school now - loving it and why not? Think resort meets education :). T is running around with snow pants and a motorcycle helmet on and when I asked her why, she said, "just in case." O.k......

    B and I are well and beginning to plan a vacation to Atlantis. But before that, he is going on his annual camping trek to Yellowstone with his brother.

    Voicemail medical news, huh? I am taking that as a very good sign since negative news is usually delivered in real time.

    I suppose you have a get out of jail free card from nuclear medicine for if/when you beep during security? I bet any kids in line will think you have super powers!

    Please say hello to Nathan for us. I can imagine that he must be dying to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girl,
    So happy to hear that you are doing so well. Uncle Lonnie and I are in Oahu on a combined business and pleasure trip.
    As far as the low blood sugar issue, all I can tell you is from my own litany of physicians. I was told to eat a snack of fruit and cheese every night an hour before bed. The fruit brings up the blood sugar but the fat in the cheese allows for a more sustained fall, rather than a rapid drop. Prevents those 57-70 blood sugars that were occuring around 2-4 am. When I go low it is usually in the very early morning hours and the concern is that you will go too low before fully waking. Keep a juice box by the bed at night. I have had a few lows that went to 40 before I could get from the bedroom to the kitchen. At that point you become very uncoordinated and feel fuzzy so you need to keep something to raise the B/S quick very nearby.
    Loving you well,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just saying- once this cancer mumbo-jumbo is over, this should become a food blog. You talk about food on practically every post anyway. It makes food addicts like me very happy. As does the fact that you're doing well, but I knew that, so I'm really just here for the food. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So how was your trip to Ann Arbor and how is this blogs most famous Ann Arbor resident?

    I think Sara is on to something - there must be a cool way to combine your two interests, law and organic food. Maybe the link is that lawyers can easily afford organic food :)?

    Regarding keeping blood sugar continuously level - Instinctively I have always known that staying up late to have a sugar dense snack while I watch re-runs or tool around the internet has theraupeutic benefit!

    ReplyDelete