On Friday I had my first Taxol treatment, and I'm happy to report that I didn't have any weird allergic side effects or any of the scary stuff that people tend to worry about with Taxol. A big plus - I can still feel my fingers and toes (for now)! A bigger plus - I'm more than halfway done with chemo!
Courtesy of CaitFord (who gets a huge thank you for coming all the way up from DC), I also go to see "How to Catch a Thief" during the cheems this week. Since a Taxol infusion is about three and a half hours long, I think I'm going to take the opportunity to watch more movies, since I typically can't ever sit still long enough to finish one.
On the slight downside, I've anecdotally heard that it's common to feel very depressed on Taxol. While I normally wouldn't worry about it since I tend more towards the 'irrationally filled with joy all the time' end of the spectrum, I got hit with the foulest of foul moods about 24 hours post Taxol.
I think it's only fair to also tell you guys the things that aren't fun - I know that other Cancer People read this and that future Cancer People might read it one day, and it's important to know that despite appearances cancer is not all fun, games, and getting presents for looking so hot while bald. And practically speaking, if I bite your head off at some point in the next few weeks, we can all look back at this timestamped blog entry and say that you had ample warning to tread carefully.
So in the interest of honesty, what follows is a list of things that have not individually made a lasting, measurable dent in my funk since Saturday evening:
- dark chocolate with French lavender and salted pistachio
- milk chocolate with cinnamon and almonds
- Saks Fifth Avenue
- Forever 21
- '90s movies
- a bagel
- bacon
- honey mustard
- sushi
- the cat
- a shower
- a cry (or three)
- Apples to Apples
Luckily, all these home cures taken in combination with wonderful friends do seem to have some effect, but it should still be noted that while I hope this funk lifts soon, for a little while I might be a bit off-kilter.
Monday, September 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
might I suggest 80s movies? I found the Brat Pack cheered me out of most funks -- at least temporarily.
ReplyDeleteFor me at least, I'd take physical discomfort over emotional any day of the week. The emotional junk is just so unpredictable. You have every right to pamper yourself, so go for it. My card-sending has thus been re-established and although I've been praying, I will pray for strength for those days when you feel especially icky. Thankfully, we know that this is just a phase that shall pass...
ReplyDeleteBaby girl-You have done so well with the whole whirlwind of "stuff" that has been going on since your diagnosis. While the tornado of things swirling around you has been fearsome and overwhelming you have still been looking at all of it flying around and waiting for the window to break and fall on you. Like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, the house has landed and you still don't know that the witch is dead. It is only natural to experience the jolt and try to get your bearings as the house lands on firm ground again.
ReplyDeleteThe Taxol and the emotions that go with it is The Yellow brick road" Yes there will be dangers along the way, but you will find Glenda, the Tin Man, The Scarecrow and The Lion have been with you all along.
Keep your eyes on The Emerald City.
Loving you well. TOTO