I stumbled across this article today, written by a journalist who was recently diagnosed with melanoma (check your skin, people). It described so well the experience I've had when telling family and friends about my cancer that I wanted to share it. Think of it as the Hallmark card version one of my awkward thank yous - this time you get to hear it from someone more eloquent.
Despite what a certain kooky Showtime series may lead you to believe, cancer is not all dancing on the furniture and cartwheeling in the halls. Connection is all we have in this world, and you, with your generosity and your spirit, have managed to sync me up to its biggest, most powerful network. To put it in geek terms, I'm on the grid, lit up with everything that's been coming my way. At times it's been overwhelming, your goodness. I've found myself sobbing and laughing at the same time, reading your messages, listening to your voice mails, hanging out with you, astonished at the enormity of your hearts. You've given me the best week of my kickass life. (Sorry, spring break '85.)
The other day my deeply adored friend Walt wrote three simple words. "Whatever you need." So in case you're wondering, that's what you get when you get cancer. You get love from every corner of the world, from friends and strangers. You get people throwing open their doors, extending their hands, showing up at your house with wine. You tap into something so amazing it could break your heart.
If you're interested, you can read the full article, called The Upside to Cancer, on Salon.
And in other news, Chemo #3 on Friday! I believe there's still some floor space available in my chemo room, and another Apples to Apples player is always welcome.
Wednesday, August 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Caitlin,
ReplyDeleteNice article but I just want to know - does this "thank you" post mean that you are rescinding your earlier offer to proof-read grad school papers?
The second part of my question is whether children, (let's say a certain highschool aged boy in NJ) of the supportive person can redeem your generous offer but instead submit a college application essay for review?:)
There have been a lot of changes in your life, especially this week, and I think of you often.
The buzz around my home this week is getting J prepared to leave for school in two weeks. But the most chatter is about T's 10th birthday next week. Can you believe this child will be ten? I almost physically can't stand it. How crazy is this? I have actually used my fingers to re-do the math - Fall of 2000 - Fall of 2010. That makes her ten years old, I guess. Since she came home from Russia as a one year old (Fall of 2001) , I feel like she is 8 going on 9 rather than 9 going on 10. She has gift suggestions ranging from an ATV to Wendy's drive through.
nope, I'm still taking grad school papers from here to eternity - all college personal statements count as well :)
ReplyDeleteHello Caitlin:
ReplyDeleteI would like to follow you. I will not use the phrase "I am sorry" or any other pity phrases cause I think they are useless. I love your word "connection". Yes - we are all so connected in this and makes life great :D [big grin].
*cheers*