So my roommates and I agreed to ask someone to help us keep the apartment up to snuff for a while, since we figure I'll be a little too wiped during chemo to effectively bleach the grout lines between the kitchen floor tiles and line up the bottles in the medicine cabinet. We asked M, who I used to have help at my old apartment, and who I love, love, love.
This morning when she showed up we got to chatting ("chat" is an extremely generous description of what I manage in Spanish), and she told me that she had just had an abnormal mammogram and is undergoing further testing, but expects it to be cancer because she has already had breast cancer seven years ago. I spent my whole subway ride to work thinking about what a weird and unfair world it is when two people can potentially have the same problem, and be entirely differently equipped to deal with it. I got breast cancer and my pressing concerns were how to keep my apartment well-dusted and lavender-scented, and whether I should get some cute summery highlights in my wig. Someone else could have the same problem and still take the subway down from the Bronx to bleach grout.
This morning was an extra reminder that I am very lucky to be in the position I am while dealing with this problem. I live twenty minutes from the best breast cancer center in the country (the world?), I have a super Cadillac insurance plan, and I have an enormous support network (I can't say it enough so I'm thanking you once more, guys). While I appreciate so, so much all your thoughts, prayers, and well wishes, it would be great if you could subtract a minute or two and instead direct some of that positive ju-ju toward M and toward other people who may not have the luxury of dealing with this problem from a position of similar comfort. Even though this whole cancer thing sometimes seems daunting and scary, compared to most other people in the world, I have it really, really easy.
Monday, June 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yes, you are blessed. I think it is amazing how we notice new things when we go through something ourselves. Suddenly, even I am talking to people about breast cancer and learning new things about their struggles. Before you, I would never have gone there. It makes us all become a little more mature, a little more caring and certainly more sensitive to what others are dealing with. I will pray for M and will still be praying for you as well.
ReplyDeleteSorry for the double post. When I tried to post earlier today, Blogger told me that it didn't work and when I looked, it wasn't there... so now you have 3 posts in a row from me. How random is that? =)
ReplyDeleteCai, we here in Louisiana will definitely be sending some good thoughts and prayers to M, and to you too. You have a great perspective on the whole thing. People should feel lucky to have my wonderful sister with her wonderful disposition around. I miss you and can't wait to come home and see you. Love always. - Butt Nugget (Sara, in case you forgot you call me that.)
ReplyDeleteSometimes the worst of things brings out the best of things. I stand in awe of your attitude and ability to see someone else who is suffering. Yes, you are so cool! Love you Aunt Mary
ReplyDeleteThinking about you and praying today!! ((HUGS)) ♥
ReplyDeleteI know. M is a trooper and so are you! I love you both so much and Ill be rooting.
ReplyDelete