This morning I met with the reconstructive surgeon who will be making me some new chestpieces. Apparently the whole process takes about six months or so. First, during the mastectomy, they put in 'tissue expanders,' which are basically big plastic bags. Slowly over a few months, they pump you up by filling the bags with saline. When your skin and muscle is all used to the the new positioning (another few months), you have another surgery to exchange the tissue expanders for implants. Ta-da! You then have boobs. Most people wind up swapping out the implants every 10-15 years, as they either leak or pop or just get old or the technology advances to the point where they can make them look better or something. But besides that, it's all done.
I also had pre-surgery testing this morning, which basically just ensures that you're healthy enough to get surgery and have anesthesia. Except for uncontrollable cell division, I am fit as a fiddle. (PROTIP: If you have multiple doctor's appointments every day that require you to be undressed "from the waist up," dresses should stop being part of your wardrobe. Unfortunately, I forgot that this morning so I had to hang around with a sheet wrapped around my waist.)
This afternoon I'm also meeting with a reproductive specialist, since as some of you may know, chemo might wind up doing a number on your reproductive system. Since the non-mutated parts of my genome are definitely worth saving, I am looking into ways of doing that. I'll spare the readers of this blog the details, but if you would like some specifics, feel free to ask me directly. Suffice it to say that should I one day decide that I would like my home to become a germy, slimy, baby-food smeared catastrophe, I will be able to do that. Oh, and I will also be able to safely pass on my genetics without fear of producing another cancer time bomb baby mutant.
Tuesday, June 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow! You are having a very busy day. I've been thinking about you. Sounds like the pros are being proactive, which is a good thing. Take care. I will be in touch. Much love going your way! ((HUGS))
ReplyDeleteThe world will be a better place when your genetics are dressed in Baby Gap outfits!
ReplyDeleteWhen you are ready, I look forward to hearing your reproductcive endocrinologist update.
As a quick aside, let me know if you want to hear me digress about why I personally find the Virgin Birth of Jesus to be so very believable:)
I admire your ability to be so transparent during this stressful time.
I can't say that I begin to understand the height and width of your crisis but I can say that I care deeply.
And I guarentee you that there will be joy.
You continue to amaze and inspire those who love you.
ReplyDeleteThe reproductive endocrinologist info would make an interesting byline later on. Somehow it conjures up a picture of a nerdy scientist picking through a jar of jelly beans for just the right one. I pray that by the time you are ready for all the goo and slime they will know how to sift out the "lemons"
Will be awaiting your updates and calling the parentals on Friday.
Hugs.
Baby Gap? Please - those kids are going to be rocking Bonpoint!
ReplyDeleteI'm thinking Tods loafers for sure...
ReplyDelete