Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Friends and Foobs

I'm writing this from the uber-luxurious Sloan Kettering "plastics" waiting room, which is tricked out with a foamy cappucino machine, lots of snacks, magazines, and internet-capable computers. Cancer is so much better if you can read celebrity gossip websites at the same time, no?

This morning I had a "breast reconstruction class," which basically just told me a bunch of stuff I already know about breast reconstruction. I'm glad I went though, because I met someone else in her mid-20s going through the same thing! She's only a month behind me in her diagnosis, and is figuring out surgery options and getting her BRCA results back soon. It's great to meet someone my age who's in the same place. Not that you guys haven't been more helpful and supportive than I could have possibly hoped for, but it would be lame to just dump everything on you. Also, empathy and commiseration are two different coping tools, I think (though both are helpful!).

Because I was already uptown, I moved my puberty appointment from tomorrow to today, which is nice because I don't have to get up early tomorrow for a foob fill. Also, since I'm meeting with the oncologist tomorow, I'm glad I don't have to do two doctor appointments in one day.

Fun news - though Project Fertili-save made me gain ten pounds in like, two weeks, I have magically lost five pounds in two days. They weren't kidding when they said it just totally disappears. PHEW!

Oh, and for those of you who may be wondering how the stomach-bleedy thing is going, I'll say this: Percocet is an amazing drug. Off it, it's worse than having eaten six month old fish out of a garbage can (not that I've done that, but I'm assuming). On it, I'm a litle loopy, but everything is awesome.

6 comments:

  1. It is good to hear that you made a new friend today though I know both of you wish you had met each other somewhere - anywhere - else.

    "A month behind you" must seem, in some ways, like a both a minute and a millenium ago.

    I didn't quite realize how awful your stomach was feeling - I knew you were in pain but didn't realize you must also be nauseous. Your fish word picture makes me want to plan on eating rice only tonight (makes me queasy to even think about being queasy!).

    You know you're mentally tough when not having two doctor appointments in one day feels like a respite....

    Wish your brand new friend (sounds like 2nd grade!) well for me and let her know that I will be thinking of her often, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must be so nice to be able to talk with someone who is going through the same thing. I am glad you have the Percocet; it's a great painkiller. So thankful you had a tiny break from the constant appointments. Enough is enough. Take care, my friend, and know that we will continue to pray and believe for healing and much brighter days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God always sends a lifesaver when you most need one. As always, I know you will be blazing the trail and clearing the path for this friend who is walking your walk. At least now you can do it together.
    Wishing you well,
    Aunt Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Caitlin,
    How do you feel about the outcome of the oncology appointment?

    We are lounging around the pool today - Eva is here, which is a huge treat for us.
    Caleb has a game tonight and Jonathan is finishing up his Calculus course. Tatiana is riding around our property on the neighbors go-cart, though "go-cart" makes it sound more innocuous than it is!''

    We saw Mia in her little Dance Camp Recital and wished Dean well before his surgery today (did you know about that? Relatively minor procedure). Mia is so graceful that it is a delight to watch her dance.

    So, we are having the gift of an ordinary day. A very nice thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just thinking of you today and wondering how you are feeling. I hope the pain has calmed down so you can get off that strong pain medication. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sloan Kettering "Plastics?" Reminds me of The Graduate. "I want to say just one word to you. . . . Plastics."

    ReplyDelete