I got my OncoType score back yesterday, which was a whopping 29. An OncoType score gives you an idea of what your chances of recurrence are within ten years, and how much chemotherapy would help you. Anything over 30 is considered "high risk." So since I am almost "high risk," (my actual risk of recurrence would be 20% without chemo), my oncologist is recommending a much more aggressive form of chemo. She also ran it by the oncologist weekly meeting at Sloan K and had them all vote on it, and the 20 of them unanimously agreed.
Since it's hard to argue with 20 of the best oncologists in country, I'll be doing the AC/T form of chemo, starting on July 30th. I'll be getting the "dose dense" form, which means that I'll be getting it every two weeks instead of every three so that body has less time to recover and we can mess me up as much as possible. If I manage to hang onto enough blood cells that we can keep assaulting my body at this rate, I'll be done with chemo in four months, and not feeling like a slug about two more months after that.
If you have any questions on AC/T, allow me to point you to the following link:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ACT+chemotherapy
The Cliff's Notes version:
I am going to bald, tired, sick, and really crabby for the next four to six months.
Friday, July 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
So 20% for recurrence? Not terrible, that's 80% for a healthy life after all of this is behind you! The pluck you have about you is truly incredibly impressive.
ReplyDelete-Brian