Friday, July 23, 2010

How You Can Help

Dear family, friends, and loyal blog readers from all over (especially you dedicated people in Germany and Hong Kong. Seriously, how did you even find this blog?),

You have all been great. I can hardly ask for better people in my life. Now I'm going to ask you guys for some more stuff, both because cancer allows you to be a little selfish and because unfortunately, chemo is going to be harder than surgery was. So here goes, and I promise that if you ever get a big illness one day (or a big papercut, whatever), I will do the same for you.

Please be nice to me.

Please give me lots of leeway with things like etiquette and manners. If you've sent me something lovely in the mail or over the interwebs, rest assured that I got it and I love it and I will absolutely call you back or write you a fancy thank you note at some point, but right now I am trying to wrap my mind around the idea that I am going to be bald because bald is (supposedly) better than dead.

I am going to be really tired, so I probably won't be out with you on Saturday night partying it up. However, it's nice to see you. Maybe we can get brunch on Sunday, kind of like you would do with your Grandma if she were in town. Pretend I'm like your Grandma for a few months and swing by to see me sometime - it'll break up the monotony of all those Matlock reruns I'll be watching on VHS.

If you've got a random Friday off work anytime in the next four months and have always wondered what a chemo suite looks like (they're actually super nice), come with me to chemo. I have to sit there for a few hours, and it's lame to do it by yourself. We'll have a chemo party. Honestly, I usually like to pretend that I can do this all myself and that I don't need anything from you, but I'm lying. If I go to doctor's appointments without someone else there to make me laugh, I start crying and its embarrassing. So come to chemo - we'll eat snacks and watch movies and make bald jokes. I'm not going to ask you personally as part of my "I can do everything alone" campaign, so if you're not busy just offer.

I'm sure there will be lots of other things that I think of or realize I'm not up to doing as things go on, but for now thats about all I've got.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't forgotten you and you know that no replies are necessary to my endless supply of cards, both e and postal. I really feel a need to hug you right now. Thank you for the updates. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find myself thinking of you often and taking the computer from one of the kids so I can check your latest status. My heart is so heavy with knowing that there is so little we can do from so far away. All of those who love and care for you, expect no thank you notes or calls congratulating us on our attempts to make this all better. Our blessing will come to pass when this is finally finished and we can call you well. Loving you from Texas.
    Aunt Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darn! Just posted to you but the lightening storm shut down the computer and my post is gone forever. I'm calling you since I won't let this weather do that to me again:)

    ReplyDelete